Villagers With Pitchforks

The flaming torches were delayed in transit, sorry.

Friday, May 19, 2006

West Wing RIP

My growing immersion in an alternate universe isn't particularly unusual. After all, I am a fan. The problem is not unusual either. My favorite science fiction show of all time has been canceled. I feel very vulnerable and fragile and I am having a difficult time transitioning back to the real world, which is a miserable substitute for the wonderful alternate universe that soothes, reassures and uplifts.

In my alternate universe, the United States of America is run by people who share my values. They aren't perfect, indeed as a group they are flawed and human, but they are also heroic and loyal. They are witty and their conversations are literate, skewed to the left, and their compassion for the little guy is woven into every word they utter. In my alternate universe, the President of the United States can use the word nuclear without making me ashamed. He agonizes over policy that goes against his religious beliefs but would never force those beliefs down the throats of others. In this wonderful universe the president is surrounded by people who worry about the quality of our schools and the environment. They have fought to improve healthcare and raise the standard of living for every American. They don't serve the interests of big business or betray the trust of the people who put them in office. They haven't pissed off overy other country on the planet and I am not ashamed to have them represent me or speak on my behalf to the rest of the world. When I think of them my heart swells with pride. In my universe when the president disagrees with the almighty he takes him to task in Latin. The president of the real United States hasn't even mastered English. This TV show bears only a glancing resemblance to reality and is obviously science fiction, or fantasy and it has sadly come to an end.

Josiah Bartlet is a fictional character and West Wing has been canceled. Those are the cold hard facts. I've got to face the reality of what is really going on as opposed to what should be going on. I will. It will be harsh and painful and difficult, but maybe there are others out there who will also miss this alternate universe. Maybe someday enough of us will miss it enough that we will put somone in the White House we can be proud of, somone like Jed Bartlet, or Matt Santos, or even Arnold Vinick. God, what I would give for just one man or woman in the West Wing who I thought would lose a little sleep over the cares of this country. I'm not holding my breath, though. I guess when reality intrudes too much I can always pull out the DVDs. Real life kinda sucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home